About Me

My photo
I'm a senior PR major at Ohio Northern University, who is graduating in TWO WEEKS! I love sports (namely soccer and hockey) and somewhat fascinated by the entertainment industry. This blog started out as an assignment for my social media class and as it turns out, is my first time as a blogger. I wish I could say I'm a comedian, and I try, but I'm really not. But enjoy anyway.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Who Knew Blogging was REALLY a Full-Time Job?

I think the title speaks for itself, honestly. Almost every chapter we've read so far throughout all four books talk about blogging as time consuming and how maintaining an A-list blog can become a full-time job. At first that meant basically nothing to me but now six, almost seven, weeks into our social media class and I think I finally understand what that means. Sure, we're only assigned three blog posts and three comments each week which is minimal in comparison to what most bloggers contribute, from both what I've seen online and from what I've read in our books. That in itself is hard work in my book. I can barely find the time in my schedule to dedicate 15 or 20 minutes to pump out a blog post, and that's if I already have a topic in mind. Writing one (and that too, is a minimum) on a daily basis seems like something that would completely overwhelm me. But then again, that is probably why the authors call successfully maintaining one a job. As the weeks go on however, I'm learning to better manage my time blogging and become more of an efficient blogger, which is what becoming an A-list blogger is all about, right? However, I'm no where near that status nor will I ever be.

With that being said, I'm always impressed when I read through a chapter about a blogger who runs the company's blog or even a personal blog, but also has another career. Most of the time these people are PR professionals who are not only juggling a blog, but writing press releases, working with the media, updating Twitter, planning events and working with whatever else a client or boss might throw their way. So now I'm under the impression that those who successfully manage all of the above are superheroes in both the blogosphere and the world of public relations. But like I've been hearing for the last few years, and of course what I can gather from each chapter we zoom through in class, practitioners must learn to wear a variety of hats, even the ones they might not necessarily like. I suppose then, that we should all begin learning how to juggle our many obligations and to-do lists because one day we'll have to wear all those hats and then some, and hopefully become those public relations heroes we hear all about in the social media world. Sounds tough, but who doesn't want to be a superhero?

1 comment:

  1. Great post Karlie- really puts blogging into perspective. I think since social media is fast, easy to consume and off the cuff, we all assume that generating the content should be relatively the same. However, that couldn't be more false! Planning, preparation, thought and editing has to go into all social media communication, and that takes time! No wonder we are seeing so many new jobs for social media professionals pop up!

    ReplyDelete