About Me

My photo
I'm a senior PR major at Ohio Northern University, who is graduating in TWO WEEKS! I love sports (namely soccer and hockey) and somewhat fascinated by the entertainment industry. This blog started out as an assignment for my social media class and as it turns out, is my first time as a blogger. I wish I could say I'm a comedian, and I try, but I'm really not. But enjoy anyway.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Blogging and Cases and Final Papers -- Oh My!


What you're all seeing above is what I like to call Karlie's "to-do" list until Easter Break. I know many of you probably have one that looks fairly similar, or at least fairly similar in the amount of things you need to finish within the next week. Every time I look at it, it becomes more and more intimidating and I'm less and less motivated to get any of it done. But I have to or else everything else that I have scheduled will fall off track and then I have to push things back and rearrange the days I'm going to get assignments finished, which then only fuels my procrastination further. At the beginning of this school year I made it my goal to quit being such a procrastinator and until I got to the middle of winter quarter, I was doing really well. But now I'm starting to feel that severe case of senioritis kicking in, especially when the countdown to walking across stage in my cap and gown grows shorter and shorter. As that closes in, my list gets that much longer and it's that much more I really don't want to finish. But I'll power through because that's what I do best, aside from occasionally working during that dreaded crunch time.

I tend to have issues when dealing with my "to-do" lists simply because I try to make them specific and even when I don't mean to, sometimes things come up and I have to redo the whole thing. It's really not that bad because it's also teaching me how to effectively rearrange my schedule to accomplish everything I need to in a timely manner for when I have a real job and things don't always go according to plan. However, this causes a great deal of stress in my life and as my lists get longer, the stress continues to build. I, for one, do not deal with stress well, we don't mix at all. But the odd thing is, that's all part of my process because in my mind, if I'm not stressed about something related to school then something isn't right in my busy life and I'll start wondering if I'm forgetting about something important and the deadline will creep up on me before I've had the chance to figure it out. Usually that's not it at all and I'm just lucky to catch an easy week or a stress-free weekend. Therefore, for all the despair and grief that stress tends to cause for me, it feels completely liberating to be able to scratch off from my list and know that it's completely finished. You could even say it begins to relieve the stress of the workload, and maybe it does, but I can never tell. The only time I ever really feel that weight being lifted off my shoulders is when everything is done, and in four or five weeks I'll be able to breathe easily again. Well, for the most part, anyway.

At least now that I've finished this post I can cross one more thing off my list for Friday.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Karlie,

    Just wanted to say that I can completely relate to your post, especially the part about being more intimated than motivated by my to-do list. I wonder why that is? But also like you, I feel so gratified when I'm able to erase something (I do mine on a dry erase board so that I can literally get rid of it when I'm finished). I've also always been a horrible procrastinator, and like you, I feel that this is something on which I really need to work. But I also feel that when I cross everything off of my to-do list, I just have to create a new one! The to-do list is never truly finished and I think that's the most intimidating thought of it all.

    ReplyDelete