About Me

My photo
I'm a senior PR major at Ohio Northern University, who is graduating in TWO WEEKS! I love sports (namely soccer and hockey) and somewhat fascinated by the entertainment industry. This blog started out as an assignment for my social media class and as it turns out, is my first time as a blogger. I wish I could say I'm a comedian, and I try, but I'm really not. But enjoy anyway.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Do the Math: Three Laundry Room Pet Peeves

There are few things that really annoy me enough to consider them pet peeves. One is people who drive under the speed limit, another is people who don't use their turn signals and these last couple have only been realized upon spending a number of years living on ONU's campus. Our laundry room system generally sucks. Enough said. But is it? To my understanding Student Senate has heard numerous complaints regarding various aspects of doing laundry if you live on campus and of course the year after I graduate is when they plan to do something about it. Though I don't actually care because it wouldn't solve my newly founded pet peeves, which are as follows:

3. It costs $2.25 to wash and dry a single load of laundry - Granted, I know it could be worse and I know that paying to wash clothes is part of any deal when you live in an apartment building. Since my sister moved out she and I have been in an on going battle for who gets mom's quarters and she usually wins because for her, laundry is $1.25 to wash and dry. Anyway. The fact I feel like this is a giant wash of good quarters leads me to avoid doing laundry on campus as much as I possibly can. Instead, I wait until the next time I go home where I can do it for free, and I won't have to wait (but that's later to come). However, on days like today when I can't afford to wait ten more days, I have to load up the laundry basket, head downstairs, out of my section of Lake View and into the next building where I'll more than likely spend close to five dollars in quarters.

2. Not everyone is good at keeping track of time, thus clothes are often left to tie up washers and dryers - When you're a busy college student, losing track of time is somewhat understandable. Everyone has been guilty of forgetting that they have clothes in the washer or dryer at least once, myself included and felt like a bit of a hypocrite because this is one of the things I complain about. I hate when people leave clothes sitting for much longer than the time limit has been up. Too, too many times I've been tempted to fix this issue myself by removing someone else's clean clothes to make room for mine, but I don't because after much discussion with my sister, came to the conclusion that it was rude and I wouldn't appreciate someone else touching my things. Understandable. But it's still annoying when my journey to the laundry room requires me to exit my building and travel into the next and then back again with a full basket of laundry when washers and/or dryers aren't free. That also brings me to my final pet peeve...

1. In Lake View there are only a total of three washers and four dryers for the entire apartment complex - What's worse is I'm pretty sure people in live in University Terrace use this laundry room as well, but I could be mistaken. Last year I thought four washers and dryers for everyone in Stadium View was bad, but this is kind of ridiculous, especially for someone like me who doesn't have the best luck or timing when I decide to actually do laundry. I suppose I understand that not every residence hall can have as many washers and dryers as there are students living in them, but sometimes the ratio confuses me even though not everyone does their laundry at once. Though it always seems like that when I choose my laundry days. If we could just borrow the six or seven extra machines from the freshman dorms that would be great. I feel like I've at least paid my dues when it comes to waiting to wash my clothes.

2 comments:

  1. I've also heard rumors about Student Senate fixing this issue for next year. We actually had Mike Hamper (last years president) on an ONU3-TV show talking about it and he said the current plan is to make laundry free for next year. Sounds great, but I have a few issues.

    The number of washers and dryers isn't going to grow, and when you make laundry free, kids are going to stop packing washers full. I could easily take all four washers in Stadiumview if I didn't want to save money. Also, this is going to throw off all timing of doing laundry. For example, if I missed my rinse cycle to put in fabric softener, I'm going to restart my wash to put it in. There's another 30 minutes. If my clothes aren't dry, or I left them in there, guess what? I'm starting the dryer up again. Too bad for the guy who has stuff in the washer.

    I guess I'm not going to be here next year, so what do I care, but I just don't see making laundry free worth while unless you AT LEAST double the amount of washers and dryers this campus has.

    All in all, I agree with this pet peeve. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya, Karlie. But, I really have no room to talk. I have only done one load of laundry at ONU. Since I am from Findlay, I just take my laundry home. I have several reasons for doing this. First of all, I am in Findlay anyway about once a week for work with my old showchoir or to go to dinner. Secondly, it is cheaper, the dryer gets my clothes dry and I always know the washer will be available. Obviously, I know all students do not have this luxury. Therefore, the university really needs to do something to make doing laundry on campus not such a chore.

    ReplyDelete